From backyards and balconies to the great outdoors and apartment patios, the Hero Grill by Fire and Flavor is by far the best way to grill without breaking the bank.
This small, portable grill is literally the easiest and safest way to cook with charcoal – and it’s less than $150.
Overview of Hero Grill
Here’s a quick run-down of what exactly the Hero Grill System is:
- Hero Grill is the world’s first and only charcoal grill that uses a biodegradable, charcoal pod.
- By using Lavalite Charcoal Pods, you can forget about dealing with all the traditional messes associated with normal charcoal and petroleum-based lighter fluids.
- Instead, the Hero System can store easily in your kitchen, is dishwasher safe, and is ultimately built to outperform traditional charcoal grills even though it’s super lightweight and compact (under 10 pounds to be exact)
- And to make cleanup simple, the rust-proof aluminum frame is dishwasher safe and coated with a non-stick ceramic coating.
The Hero Grill is by a company called Fire and Flavor (established in 2003) that aims to create products that help share the culinary joy fire brings flavor. From their original cedar planks and charcoal to their seasonings and portable grill, all-natural and well-sourced matters are at their core.
- convenient and portable at only 10lbs
- Balcony safe
- doesn’t require messy charcoal bags or lighter fluid
- no mess, disposable charcoal pods
- instant light, ready in 10 minutes
- can sustain 60 minutes of grilling time
- rust resistant
- dishwasher safe
- a two-pack of charcoal pods costs $40
How does the Hero Grill Work?
Here’s how the Fire and Flavor Hero Grill works:
It’s a very easy, grilling system that literally takes minutes to assemble and grill.
Below is a quick rundown on how to use the grill.
How do you get started?
It’s a very quick and easy process to start grilling.
- unpack the grill from the waterproof carrying case
- full unfold legs and pale on a non-combustible surface (picnic table, hard cooler, boat dock, truck tailgates, boat decks, etc)
- partially insert the charcoal pods
- light corner charcoals
- wait until the grill temp hits 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- add food and remove thermometer
- grill your meats
- when you’re done, extinguish the grill with water
- wipe excel grease away when cool
- dispose of pods or put lid back on to the pod pack
- place grill, cutting board, and spatula back into the bag
What’s the Hero Grill Capacity?
The Hero grill is 13.1″ wide and almost 9″ deep. This allows it to hold around:
- 8 kabobs
- 12 hot dogs
- 6 burgers
- 8 wings
- 2-3 steaks
With every Hero Grill System purchase, you’ll get:
- nonstick, dishwasher-proof grill
- one tray of disposable, eco-friendly charcoal pods
- bamboo spatula
- bamboo cutting board
- silicone-wrapped meat thermometer
- rugged waterproof case
What makes the Hero Charcoal Pods so special?
The Hero Charcoal Pods are eco-friendly, biodegradable, and can light instantly without lighter fluid or starters.
Each charcoal pod is plant-based, low VOC, and can be composted.
Plus, the Hero Pods capture any grilling messes while providing a convenient way to extinguish and pack up once you’re done grilling. This makes it a safe, mess-free charcoal experience.
And if something were to happen that requires you to extinguish the grill quickly, you can safely throw water right on the charcoal pods.
With each box of Hero Charcoal Pods, you can expect to get around 60 minutes of grilling time.
Just remember to keep your tray because you’re actually able to refill the sleeves without throwing it away after one use.
So what’s the downside?
To be honest the one true downside is having to continue to buy their proprietary Hero Pod Charcoal at $39.95 for a 2-pack which will ultimately add up in the long run, especially if you find yourself grilling a lot.
Thankfully they sell just individual pods for $19.95 for a pack of 96 which is quite reasonable.
Plus, each pack of charcoal is estimated to give you a burn time of around 60 minutes, which to some isn’t a lot especially if you’re grilling steaks or something that generally takes a bit of time.
Like for instance, my wife likes her steak well-done no matter how much I beg her to change her steak temperate and ultimately, a charcoal grill like this might end up getting a little pricey to continue to use.
How much is the Hero Grill?
The Hero Grill is $149.95 and that includes a waterproof carry case, charcoal pods, a multi-use thermometer, a bamboo spatula, and a bamboo cutting board.
A two-pack of Hero Charcoal Pods is $39.95 which also includes the tray.
If you still have your tray, you can just get the Hero Charcoal Briquets (pods) for only $19.95 for a pack of 96.
Is the Hero Grill worth it?
Absolutely – IF you’re in the market for a small, eco-friendly portable grill.
And if you happen to be a very outdoorsy person or even live in an apartment/condo with a balcony that doesn’t want to have a huge stationary grill taking up all your valuable space.
Hero Grill FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the Hero Grill.
Can I return it for a full refund?
Yes, you have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How much is shipping?
All orders under $49.99 have a flat rate shipping cost of $9.95. Any order over $50 qualifies for free standard shipping.
Can I use other charcoals in the Hero Grill?
Technically yes, but since the grill is designed to be used with their own proprietary charcoal pods, using other charcoals products will void the warranty.
Are there any special care and maintenance steps required?
Make sure not to use wire brushes or metal grilling tools because that can permanently damage the nano-ceramic non-stick coating.
Is the Hero Grill dishwasher safe?
Yes it is. The bamboo accessories and thermometer, however, require hand washing.
What’s the warranty?
You have a 5-year warranty on parts and a 1-year warranty on the thermometer and gaskets
This post contains affiliate links which means that I will make a small commission if you purchase a product after clicking on any of them, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Leave a Comment